Pregnant woman bitten by ‘trouser snake’ python in bedroom

python carpet snake image

The python was found by Mr McKenzie in the wardrobe. Photo: The Snake Catcher 24/7 – Sunshin

A pregnant woman remained “calm” after she was bitten by a python in her bedroom at the Sunshine Coast on Sunday evening.

The Snake Catcher 24/7 – Sunshine Coast founder Stuart McKenzie was called out to a house in Tewantin at 11pm after reports a python was trapped in a bedroom.

Mr McKenzie talked the pregnant woman and her husband through the steps to take if a python is found in a bedroom, including getting everyone clear of the room, closing the door and securing a towel at the base to keep the python inside.

python snake on mattress image

The pregnant woman was shocked to find a python had bitten her. Photo: The Snake Catcher

It was only after about a minute of talking through these steps on the phone that Mr McKenzie heard the full story.

“About a minute in she said she had been bitten, now at that stage it got a little bit more serious when there was a bite involved, so I had to make sure it actually was a python,” he said.

After confirming it was a python (which are non-venomous) thanks to the woman’s husband sending a picture of the python through to Mr McKenzie, the woman explained how she came to be bitten.
The woman thought she had been scratched by a wire.

python bite marks on foot image

The woman thought she had been scratched by a wire. Photo: The Snake Catcher

“She got out of bed, heavily pregnant, to go to the toilet and walked around the bed in the dark and basically felt a bit of a prick or scratch on the top of their foot. They are renovating and she thought it might have been a bit of wire or something she hit,” he said.

“She turned the bathroom light on and saw a five foot python slithering into the bedroom.”

Mr McKenzie said the python was probably in the house looking for food or water and would have bitten the woman as a defence mechanism.

“It obviously wasn’t trying to eat her or anything like that, she obviously stepped quite close to it and as a defensive strike it just struck out. It didn’t bite and hold, it just scratched the top of her foot,” he said.

“It would have maybe got a bit defensive because it thought something might have been trying to come after it but obviously it was just a coincidence, they were both in the same area at the same time.”

Mr McKenzie said the woman remained “relatively calm” the whole time.

“She had adrenaline pumping which is natural in that situation. I think she was calm because her husband was basically 100 per cent sure it was a python,” he said.

“They are non-venomous, completely harmless, they have a mouth full of small little teeth. Large ones can give you a nasty bite and can occasionally cause serrations but usually it is just a heap of little needles going into your skin.”

Mr McKenzie said this was one of the first times he had heard of someone getting “accidentally” bitten by a python, but said pythons in houses was not uncommon.

“It is pretty rare you encounter them at night after you’re asleep, normally people come home and there will be a snake in the house,” he said.

“The next day on Monday I had a python curled up on the make-up bench of an elderly lady’s bedroom.”

Read more:
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *